Saturday, May 7, 2011

24

Wrote this on April 20th in that journal I always carry around. Thought I'd share since I always tell myself to blog more and there are a lot of summer birthdays.

__

I love being young. I love the energy, the zeal, the freedom, the naive dreams colliding with reality. Youth is all I know. So it's a conscious effort to not feel a small sting about turning a year older. Feeling like "the best time of my life," although still in my hands, is slowly slipping through my tightly clasped fingers.

But I cling on to the reminder given on my 20th birthday - the pivotal day I moved out of my teens and started my journey into the twenties. A housemate wrote in a birthday card - don't be sad about turning older, because another year marks another year of God's faithfulness to you. A reminder to look up. In many ways life becomes less fun because we have more responsibility and are challenged to become less self-centered. Youth is "me" time. Finding yourself, doing what you want... freedom.

But as we age, I think life should get sweeter. We learn more about God, about His character, His grace, His faithfulness in our lives. And as our purpose is to glorify Him, it is sweet to grow closer to Him each year He teaches us, whether through trial or blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment