Sunday, August 8, 2010

Museums and Impressionism

I don't like museums. Sure, the first artifact is exciting. But then you move on to the next, and it's nice, but it looks too familiar. After the fifth, the novelty is gone and I'm ready to go home.

On Saturday I went to the Birth of Impressionism exhibit at de Young Museum. First time using an audio tour and I have to say, it made all the difference. I'm usually too lazy to scramble to the front, only to get a half view of a small description, blocked by a tall head. But with the audio tour, the history was made accessible by the push of a few buttons. :)

I always thought impressionism was cool, but not a standout amongst other styles. This exhibit made me appreciate the thinking behind the movement. Before impressionism, the French Salon was the key holder to what was considered good art. This manifested in realism, which typically depicted mythology and archetypal beauty. Impressionists broke away from the European canon of idealized realism and painted what was truly realistic - unglamorous, mundane life. They depicted hardship, labor and war, and expressed their point of view even if it undermined their talent or meant they would earn a meager living.

They went against convention and thought for themselves! They met at cafes and talked about politics and art. Gaahhhh! I love passionate thinkers who are insightful and take time to talk about things. These days we do too much and don't think enough. We have too much TV to pass our time. I want passion and conviction to course through everything I do! But I also want those things to be tapered with the truth of the gospel. No blind passion, please.

I've slowly been learning to grow out of my idealized reality too. God has been gracious and life has come pretty easy. So I've been able to live in my lala land of dreams and fantasies. But I am ready to let go. I am ready to let them crash for glimpses of reality, because how can you be light and salt if you are ignorant to the hardships around you?

1 comment:

  1. art museums are ok. nature and science museums, on the other hand, can entertain me for daaaays. seeing God's creativity fascinates me. also, seeing what humans can do with science, and then pondering how much MORE God can do really fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete