Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Costa Rica

I felt undeservingly spoiled last week. New car and trip to Costa Rica all paid by my mother.

Itinerary
Sunday (7.17) - Shop
Monday (7.18) - Monte Verde: butterfly tour, coffee tour and zip lining
Tuesday (7.19) - Beach tour to Conchal, Flamingo, and Tamarindo
Wednesday (7.20) - Arenal volcano: active volcano where I enjoyed the natural hot springs
Thursday (7.21) - Spa and massage
Friday (7.22) - White water rafting

I felt very rich. Not in a cool way. In an embarrassing, somewhat ashamed way. During the coffee tour the guide explained the process of producing coffee, including the picking process and how much they make. Coffee pickers comb the plants, carrying a 10 kg basket around their back. They are paid by the basket, and if a picker is fast, they can fill a basket in one hour. Wage? $1. That means on a good day, if someone works eight hours, they are paid $8 a day doing physical, back straining work. 40 hours a week, 52 weeks is $2,080 a year.

I've heard these statistics before. I've heard sermons, read Christian books telling me I'm rich and I should be thankful. But I don't know if I ever believed that in America. Certainly not in the America I saw with Berkeley students. Even the "poor" students in Berkeley are far from poor. I complain that I'm poor because I'm supporting myself and the job situation has been tough. But I have a fridge full of food, a full closet, a new car, parents who support me, etc, etc.

The service is really good in Costa Rica. I stayed at the Hilton where the employees accommodated your every whim. It made me want to stare at the floor. Don't get me wrong, I had an AMAZING time but it was a humbling experience.

2 comments:

  1. You should watch http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/ (it's about the trade of coffee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... I really like this post. I don't think I'm rich either, even though I have a job, but your real life illustrations drive it home well.

    - nate chang

    ReplyDelete