Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cafe Du Nord


Spontaneous trip to Cafe Du Nord with Christine Myung. Got to see some pretty darn amazing artists - Gabe Bondoc, Goh Nakamura and Doug Wamble.
As I sat there, waiting for the show to begin. I brainstormed titles for this entry - perhaps "Melting like Butter" or "Gabe Bondoc." But as I saw crowds cheering and girls swooning I wondered what kind of people these musicians really were. I know Gabe is a nominal Christian but I wondered how his passion for the Lord compared to his passion for fame and music.

I started thinking of how public figures tout the Christian label to be relatable. Many musicians, celebrities, politicians, claim to be Christian. It's a good move because it appeals to a large demographic. Not that I can judge anyone's spirituality, but I have to say, I was rather put off with Mr. Bondoc after this line of thinking. Wasn't melting very much during the whole performance. He's definitely a talented guy. I can affirm that even more after seeing him live. But the whole time I was thinking of Ecclesiastes and how money and fame are all vanity in the end.

Also made me think of Proverbs 20:6 - "Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, but who can find a faithful man?"

After going to Berkeley I've met a number of intelligent people who are well-off and talented because you have to have resources and extra-curricular activities to get in. I've also met a fair amount who are the "whole package" - smart, wealthy, talented, social and good-looking. After a while they're just a dime a dozen to me. God's given tons of people these blessings, quite a few have them all and I find it all unimpressive. But what is rare is someone with character. That's hard to find.

-_- Yes. I have a scattered mind. Other people think of these things at concerts right?

Thanks for the info and ride Christine! The artists were great and I like events that unexpectedly make me think of life.


P.S. Don't you like the pictures? <3

1 comment:

  1. au contraire. very focused thinking. like the blog. congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete