Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Adventures in So Cal

So Cal has been different in a good way. It feels like vacation - being well fed and spending time with old friends. Highlights were spending time with my mom <3, seeing Kooza (Cirque du Soleil), and visiting Cornerstone Bible Church. Seeing old friends has been SO refreshing. There's an understanding and comfort that's unique to when I'm with them. No need to put up a front because after 8 years there aren't a lot of struggles that are surprising. It's like "oh yeah, I knew you struggled with that." Funny how most sins are a life long battle. We become better fighters, but it's a battle to the death (good thing we win in the end).

After being in So Cal for a few days, I realize I'd much rather live in Nor Cal. There's a charm to all the trees and mom and pop cafes. I also feel the impulse to shop and focus on the way I look. I'm already more vain and superficial than I'd like to be so there's no need to put myself in this kind of environment. Personally, I like being a so cal girl in a nor cal environment. It makes me different. I like to be perceived as trendy and well-dressed, but not as high-maintenance and superficial. If only I could have all the pros and none of the cons in life. Life would be so much easier...

Went to Hollywood with Catie today. One of my best friends from high school and one of the most passionate people I know. Passionate about everything - God, school, design, guitar, etc. It's contagious. I realize that zealous people are the ones that make a difference and impact others. This is true in looking for jobs too. Everyone has skills, was the president of some club, went to a good school, blah, blah, blah. People follow others who are passionate. That's what sets you apart.

I think I used to be more free spirited and passionate in high school. What happened to that girl? I feel like she's been muffled. Bah, I'm determined to bring her back. At the same time, it's important to make sure things don't become idols and we make first priorities first. I leave with this illustration from Donald Miller which relates this message in a very smart way. Plus, it has bunnies in it <3 http://www.donaldmillerwords.com/images/DonRabbit.pdf

2 comments:

  1. you are SO ridiculous

    you weren't kidding about honesty either.

    who knew under all that fluff was... more fluff.


    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. "plus it has bunnies in it"

    ohhhh cass.

    ReplyDelete